Information for Military Service Members, Military Spouses, and Military Veterans*
Military service members, military spouses, and military veterans may be eligible for services including:
Initial Licensing Application Fee Waivers
By Examination - waiver of application fees for military service members and military veterans who are applying for licensure by examination
By Endorsement - waiver of application fees for military service members, military spouses, and military veterans who are applying for licensure by endorsement
To access the Military Application Fee Waiver request, please click here.
When submitting the request, please include a completed paper application for licensure, which is downloadable from the OT Forms or PT Forms page, respectively. If you are requesting a fee waiver, do not apply online.
License Eligibility Requirements for Applicants with Military Experience
CE or CC Extensions
A licensee who is a military service member may qualify for two years of additional time after the expiration of the license to complete the following:
- Any continuing education requirements as specified in the OT Rules, Chapter 367, Continuing Education, or continuing competence activities as specified in PT Rules §341.2 (relating to Competence Requirements); and
- Any other requirements related to the renewal of the license. For further information, see OT Rules §370.2 or PT Rules §341.20.
Late Renewal Fee Exemptions
A licensee will be exempt from late fees and penalty for failure to timely renew a license if the licensee establishes to the satisfaction of the Board that failure to renew the license in a timely manner was because the licensee was serving as a military service member.
Expedited initial licensure by endorsement and license restoration services are available upon receipt of official documentation of active duty status, military veteran status, or the active duty status of the spouse.
*Chapter 55, Occupations Code, §55.001 provides the following definitions:
- Active duty - current full-time military service in the armed forces of the United States or active duty military service as a member of the Texas military forces, as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or similar military service of another state.
- Armed forces of the United States - the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States or a reserve unit of one of those branches of the armed forces.
- Military service member - a person who is on active duty.
- Military spouse - a person who is married to a military service member.
- Military veteran - a person who has served on active duty and who was discharged or released from active duty.