Military Funeral Honors

Military Service Coordinators

Army: Military Funeral Honors Team 
U.S. Army Human Resources Command 
The Adjutant General Of the United States Army 
Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Operations Center 
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue 
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405
Marine Corps: Military Funeral Honors Coordinator 
Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps 
Attn: MFPC (Funeral Honors) 
2008 Elliot Road 
Quantico, VA 22134
Navy: Commander, Navy Installations Command 
Casualty and Funeral Honors (N00K) 
Casualty Assistance & Funeral Honors Specialist 
716 Sicard Street, SE, Suite 101 
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5140 
Comm:(202) 433-6892 
DSN: +94-288-6892 
Mobile: 202-905-8344
Air Force: Military Funeral Honors Coordinator 
Air Force Military Funeral Honors 
116 Purple Heart Drive 
Dover AFB, DE 19902
Coast Guard: Military Casualty Matters Coordinator 
202-795-6637 (office) 
202-372-8488/8323 (fax ATTN: Casualty Chief, PSC-PSD-FS) 
571-266-2375 (24/7 duty cell) 
Online Casualty Resource, MFH & BAS Guidance: 
WASHINGTON DC 20593-7200



The Department of Defense (DOD) provides Military Funeral Honors at the burials of Veterans. When requested, funeral Honors can be given at any cemetery-private or Government - operated. Most funeral directors make those arrangements with (DOD) on behalf of family members.


Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

Military members who died while on active duty or in the Selected Reserve

Former military members who served on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions

Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions

Further clarification on eligibility is available on our DoD Policy page.


Who is NOT eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in a bar to veteran's benefits

Any person who was ordered to report to an induction station, but was not actually inducted into military service

Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty

Any person convicted of a Federal capital crime and whose conviction is final (other than a person whose sentence was commuted by the President)

Any person who has been convicted of a State capital crime and whose conviction is final (other than a person whose sentence was commuted by the Governor of a State)

Any person who

is found to have committed a Federal capital crime or a State capital crime, as set forth in section 2411(c) of title 38, but,

has not been convicted of such crime by reason of such person not being available for trial due to death or flight to avoid prosecution

For additional information, refer to Title 38, United States Code, Section 2411 on the Department of Defense policy of this website.

See also paragraph 4.7.4 of Department of Defense Instruction 1300.15 on theDepartment of Defense policy of this website.


How do I establish veteran eligibility?

The preferred method is to provide the member's DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If the DD Form 214 is not available, any discharge document showing honorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 may be obtained by completing a Standard Form 180; once the DD Form 214 is received send it to:

National Personnel Records Center(NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

If requested, the NPRC can provide a Standard Form 180 by mail, or it can be downloaded from the Internet at:


Is anyone else eligible to receive Funeral Honors?

Yes, members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) andNational Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Certain Civilian or Contractual Groups who have been given Active Duty Service Determinations are eligible as well as National Guard members.


How is PHS eligibility for Funeral Honors established?

For PHS Personnel, Funeral Honors eligibility is established by submitting PHS Form 1867, Statement of Service (equivalent to the DD Form 214). If the family does not have a copy of the Statement of Service, it may be obtained by contacting the Privacy Coordinator for the Commissioned Corps at (240) 453-6041 or by writing: 

Division of Commissioned Corps Officer Support 
Attention: Records Officer 
1101 Wootton Parkway 
Plaza Level, Suite 100 
Rockville, MD 20857


How is NOAA eligibility for Funeral Honors established?

For NOAA personnel, eligibility is established by submitting NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge. If the family does not have a copy of the NOAA Form 56-16, it may be obtained by contacting the Chief, Officer Services Division, NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center at (301) 713-7715 or by writing: 

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration 
Commissioned Personnel Center 
Chief, Officer Services Division (CPC1) 
8403 Colesville Rd. 
Suite 500 
Silver Spring, MD 20910


How does a family request Funeral Honors for NOAA or PHS decedents?

The families of PHS and NOAA decedents request Funeral Honors through their funeral director. The funeral director will contact the applicable points of contact at PHS or NOAA to arrange the Funeral Honors detail. 

Military Funeral Honors for PHS or NOAA decedents is provided by the Coast Guard.


How is Funeral Honors eligibility for Civilian or Contractual Groups established?

By virtue of Public Law (P.L.) 95-202, individuals other than current/former uniformed service members can be considered 'veterans' under Title 38 (which contains the laws administered by the VA). Section 401 of P.L. 95-202 established a process whereby the Secretary of Defense could designate certain groups' service as active duty for the purpose of 'all laws administered by the Veterans' Administration.' These 'Active Duty Designees' would be eligible for Military Funeral Honors. 

The Secretary of the Air Force has been delegated the responsibility, under Department of Defense Directive 1000.20., to make determinations under P.L. 95-202. This directive can be found at The groups who could be considered for an 'active duty' designation by the Secretary must have rendered service to the Armed Forces of the United States in a capacity considered civilian employment or contractual service at the time the service was rendered. 

Section 1491 of Title 10, U.S.C. , requires the Secretary of Defense to provide a Funeral Honors detail upon request to any 'veteran.' Section 1491 defines 'veteran' as, among other things, 'a decedent who served in the active military, naval, or air service (as defined in section 101(24) of title 38)... ' Section 101(24), in turn defines the term 'active military, naval, or air service' to include 'active duty.' Since Active Duty Designees have served on 'active duty' for purposes of Title 38, Active Duty Designees would therefore be 'veterans' under title 10, U.S.C. Section 1491 for purposes of receiving Funeral Honors required by that statute. 

The attached list contains a complete listing of those Groups who have been given 'active duty' determinations, Recognized Groups Under Public Law 95-202.