To facilitate a statewide network for veteran spouses as they build a community of support
The VSN’s work is influenced by our belief that veteran families rely on strong communities to support each other while going through military to civilian transition and as they face unique challenges (and have unique strengths!) based on their shared history of military service. The network is designed to incorporate the input, voice, and perspectives of veteran spouses from across the state of Texas either by accessing the VSN website, its Facebook page or by getting involved in VSN programs. We strongly encourage spouses to contact us with input and ideas on how to make the VSN what you want it to be.
Veteran Family Transition Program
- The Veteran Family Transition program will be launching in September 2020 and will provide military and veteran spouses, committed partners, and couples transitioning out of active duty service with transition support. Spouses and couples will be matched with VSN Region Leaders who are veteran spouse peers in their community, to help them make a transition plan, and connect them to local resources that will help them reach their goals.
- Future information regarding the Veteran Transition Program can be found at http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/vftp/
Veteran Spouse Resiliency Groups
- The Veteran Spouse Resiliency Group (V-SRG) provides peer support group programming to spouses and committed partners of veterans as well as the spouses/partners of active duty service members who are within one year of separation from the military.
- Each group is led by veteran spouses who have been trained in the V-SRG program and curriculum, and who are provided continuous support and oversight by the Veteran Spouse Network team as they lead their groups.
- Groups are made up of 6-8 veteran spouses/partners, and meet weekly for 12 weeks, with each session lasting 2 hours.
- Each week covers a different topic related to the life of a veteran spouse and is structured with activities and discussion questions to leave room for the conversation to go where the group needs it to go. The curriculum was written for the spouses/partners of veterans BY the spouses/partners of veterans and is adapted as needed based on leader and participant feedback.
- The V-SRG offers groups in both in-person and online formats (all groups will be virtual in Fall 2020, and have opened to any spouses in the U.S.). To learn more about group sites and how to register, visit the website at http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/vsrg/
Virtual Social Clubs
- The Virtual Social Club program offers a series of one-time virtual meet-ups for military and veteran spouses, partners, and caregivers to connect around topics and activities that interest them.
- Session range from simple coffee chats or discussions on self-care to mindfulness and resiliency building workshops. Our clubs also feature guests such as authors, experts, or organizations to speak to their stories and the work they do.
- Groups are lead by our trained spouse leaders and are open to any military or veteran spouses, partners, caregivers, family members, or individuals divorced or widowed from and active duty service member or veteran. Groups are open to anyone in the country.
- To stay up to date on Virtual Social Club offerings, visit http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/virtual-social-club/
Veteran Spouse/Partner Leadership Opportunities
- Veteran Spouse Network Region Leaders
- Region Leaders serve as peer navigators, building out local resource guides for veteran families, and meeting with transitioning spouses, couples, and post-service spouses to help them create transition plans and connect them to local resources that will help them meet their needs/goals.
- Region Leaders also host local events for veteran spouses, couples, and families to help foster a community of support.
- All REgion Leaders are trained and supported by VSN program staff.
- Veteran Spouse Resiliency Group Leader
- V-SRG Leaders lead 12-week peer support groups for veteran spouses and partners in online or in-person formats.
- Leaders lead groups in teams of 2 spouse leads. You can come with a co-facilitator in mind, or we can work to match you with someone.
- All V-SRG leaders are trained and supported by VSN program staff
- To apply to become a VSN Region Leader or VSRG Leader, visit http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/join/leaders/
The VSN team will be working remotely through 2020 and, and continue to run all of our programs, but have moved all programming to virtual platforms. All Fall 2020 groups and events will remain virtual to help keep our spouse leaders and participants safe. We will update all above websites with information regarding how our programming is being impacted by COVID-19.