Facilitating a community of support for veteran spouses.
The VSN’s work is influenced by our belief that veteran families rely on strong communities to support each other while going through military to civilian transition and as they face unique challenges (and have unique strengths!) based on their shared history of military service. The network is designed to incorporate the input, voice, and perspectives of veteran spouses from across the nation, either by accessing the VSN website, its Facebook page or by getting involved in VSN programs. We strongly encourage spouses to contact us with input and ideas on how to make the VSN what you want it to be.
Veteran Family Transition Program
- The Veteran Family Transition program provides military and veteran spouses, committed partners, and couples transitioning out of active duty service with transition support. Spouses and couples will be matched with VSN Region Leaders who are veteran spouse peers in their community, to help them make a transition plan, and connect them to local resources that will help them reach their goals.
- To learn more about the Veteran Transition Program, visit http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/vftp/
Veteran Spouse Resiliency Groups
- The Veteran Spouse Resiliency Group (V-SRG) provides peer support group programming to spouses and committed partners of veterans as well as the spouses/partners of active duty service members who are within one year of separation from the military.
- Each group is led by veteran spouses who have been trained in the V-SRG program and curriculum, and who are provided continuous support and oversight by the Veteran Spouse Network team as they lead their groups.
- Groups are made up of 6-8 veteran spouses/partners, and meet weekly for 12 weeks, with each session lasting 2 hours (unless otherwise specified).
- Each week covers a different topic related to the life of a veteran spouse and is structured with activities and discussion questions to leave room for the conversation to go where the group needs it to go. The curriculum was written for the spouses/partners of veterans BY the spouses/partners of veterans and is adapted as needed based on leader and participant feedback.
- The V-SRG offers groups in both in-person and online formats (all groups will remain virtual until the threat of COVID-19 has passed). To learn more about group sites and how to register, visit the website at http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/vsrg/
Virtual Social Clubs
- The Virtual Social Club program offers a series of one-time virtual meet-ups for those connected to the military and veteran population to connect and socialize.
- Sessions range from simple coffee chats or discussions on self-care to mindfulness and resiliency building workshops. Our clubs also feature guests such as authors, experts, or organizations to speak to their stories and the work they do.
- Groups are lead by our trained spouse leaders and eligibility varies from session to session, to include military or veteran spouses, partners, caregivers, family members, service members, and veterans, or individuals divorced or widowed from an active duty service member or veteran. Groups are open to anyone in the country.
- To stay up to date on Virtual Social Club offerings, visit http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/virtual-social-club/
Veteran Spouse/Partner Leadership Opportunities
- Veteran Spouse Network Region Leaders
- Region Leaders serve as peer navigators, building out local resource guides for veteran families, and meeting with transitioning spouses, couples, and post-service spouses to help them create transition plans and connect them to local resources that will help them meet their needs/goals.
- Region Leaders also host local events for veteran spouses, couples, and families to help foster a community of support.
- All Region Leaders are trained and supported by VSN program staff.
- Veteran Spouse Resiliency Group Leader
- V-SRG Leaders lead 12-week peer support groups for veteran spouses and partners in online or in-person formats.
- Leaders lead groups in teams of 2 spouse leads. You can come with a co-facilitator in mind, or we can work to match you with someone.
- All V-SRG leaders are trained and supported by VSN program staff
- Virtual Social Club Leader
- Social Club leaders plan virtual events that interest you. Leaders develop content, help market the events to their networks, and lead the groups.
- All Virtual Social Club Leaders are trained and supported by VSN staff in the creation of session guides, as well as managing the logistics for the group, including registration, communication, and Zoom use.
- To apply to become a VSN Leader, visit http://sites.utexas.edu/vsn/join/leaders/
The VSN team will continue to work remotely through Spring 2021 and will continue to run all of our programs, primarily through virtual platforms. We are exploring the potential for some in-person groups and events in 2021, however, the health and safety of our participants and leaders is paramount. We will update all above websites with information regarding how our programming is being impacted by COVID-19.