STARRY Counseling services are available at no cost to families with children up to 17 years old (or youth older than the age of 17 who are still enrolled in high school in Texas). Counseling services include individual, group, and family counseling as well as parenting classes.
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, services are provided at no cost to the client. Insurance and money are never an issue.
STARRY COUNSELING STRIVES TO:
- Help parents understand the meaning behind their children’s behavior and work to meet their needs
- Provide families with structure, skills, and a safe space to be heard
- Help families find ways to connect
- Help resolve family conflict
- Give parents support in the journey of parenting
- Help parents reduce the risk of child abuse and neglect by developing an understanding of their own emotional wounds and helping them find empathy for their children
- Teach parents about the impacts of trauma and chronic stress
- Help parents find a balance of structure and nurture
- Help parents nurture themselves so that they can better nurture their children
- Teach parents how to improve their child’s self-esteem
- Help children learn healthy boundaries and social skills
- Teach children and teens life values
- Teach coping and mindfulness skills
- Help children and teens learn appropriate ways to get their needs met
- Assist children and teens in identifying and regulating their feelings
- Assist families in developing healthy attachment
- Help improve communication
- Network with other community agencies to help families in Central and North Texas
- Connect families with more intensive services if needed
A Feeling of Home
STARRY is a foster care agency dedicated to providing safe, loving homes for children in need of temporary care. Foster parents open their hearts and homes to children who need to live away from their families due to crisis. This program also serves children who need immediate protection, typically after being removed from their homes by court order due to life-threatening abuse or neglect.
All foster children who come to STARRY are in the custody of the Child Protective Services (CPS) Division of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. Our shared goal is family reunification, and while they are in our homes, to love and cherish these children by providing a place for them to call home.
The children placed in foster care range in age from birth to 17 years old. Many of the children return to their birth families, while others are placed with relatives or are adopted. When adoption is in the child's best interest, the foster parents may be given the opportunity to adopt.
STARRY is a member of the Travis County Collaborative for Children (TCCC) and partners with TCU to implement Trust-Based Relational Intervention (TBRI)® into our programs, which we believe will ultimately help every child from hard places to a path of healing. STARRY is also a member of the Adoption Collaborative of Central Texas.