Private Security and Locksmith Exemptions in Texas

Attention Active Duty Military, Spouses, and Veterans!

You may be exempt from certain application and examination fees for occupational licenses in the private security profession.

This profession includes armed and unarmed security guards, personal protection officers, private investigators, private security consultants, alarm systems installers and monitors, guard dog trainers, armored car couriers, electronic access control device installers, and locksmiths.

Who qualifies for the military fee exemption?

  • Active Duty Military Service Member: a person who is currently (at the time of application) serving on full-time active duty in the armed forces of the United States or Texas military forces, as defined by Texas Government Code §437.001, or similar military service of another state.
  • Military Veteran: a person who has served on active duty and who was discharged or released from active duty.
  • Active Military Spouse: a person who is married to an active duty military service member (as defined above) who holds a current license issued by another jurisdiction that has licensing requirements that are substantially equivalent to the requirements for registration in this state; or a military spouse who, within five years preceding the application date, held the license in this state.

What fees are waived with the military fee exemption?
For qualified applicants, the application and exam fees for individual original and renewal applications are waived. Applicants will be responsible for the subscription fee, pocket card fee, and the FBI fee. The military fee exemption does not include any company license fees. Please see Military Exemption Fee Schedule (PDF).

How do I apply for the military fee exemption? 
Submit an application through the TOPS website. As part of the application process you will be asked to provide your military status. Supporting documents will be required to qualify for the exemption.

What supporting documentation do I need to submit with my application to obtain the military fee exemption?

  • Active Duty Military Service Member: A copy of your active military ID card (front only) and copy of current orders.
  • Military Veteran: A copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy - 4) OR a Certificate of Honorable Discharge.
  • Active Military Spouse: A copy of your active dependent military ID card (front only), copy of your spouse's current orders, a copy of your out-of-state license OR a copy of your last pocket card (if previously licensed in Texas).
Programs for Family Members: 
Military Spouse
Career Phase: 
Active Duty or Deployed
Transitioning Military
VA Disability Rating Requirement: 
No Disability Requirement
Discharges Allowed: 
No Minimum Discharge