Operation Homefront's Transitional Homes for Community Reintegration program places military families in single- family homes for a period of 2-3 years while helping them prepare for independent home ownership.
Apply for the program online at http://Operation Homefront.org/THCR. If selected, your family will work with a designated caseworker and financial counselor to help you build up your savings, reduce debts and create a customized financial, educational, employment and personal goal plans.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Honorably discharged veterans who are within 1-year of discharge. Veterans do not have to be injured or have a combat deployment to apply.
WHAT DO THEY LOOK FOR?
- Working toward financial stability – savings and income
- Connection to the community – family support, employment, educational opportunities
- Commendable military service
- Family size in relation to the size of the home
HOW LONG DOES THE PROCESS TAKE?
- Up to 90 days to select a family
FAMILY FINANICAL OBLIGATIONS (if selected)
- Monthly fee – refundable at the end of the program
- Home rehab fee – nonrefundable
- Utility costs
WHERE ARE THE HOMES?
The houses in Texas are in Helotes (In Bexar County, near San Antonio).
- 2,029 square-feet
- Four bedrooms
- Three bathrooms
- Traditional and innovative style • Community park with playscape and walking trails.
The program also has houses in Winchester, VA and Tampa, FL.