How to use the GI Bill to pay for Professional Licensure

Licensing and Certification

Open new doors to employment by getting licensed or certified as a mechanic, medical technician, attorney, or other professional. Often required for work in certain fields, these tests may be eligible for GI Bill reimbursement.

Type of Assistance

Tests that may be reimbursable by VA include licensing and/or certification for a job as a mechanic, medical technician, therapist, computer network engineer, website developer, and other professional. There is no limit to the number of tests you may take, or number of times you may take the same test. And, VA will pay for tests even if you fail them.

Available Benefits

VA pays only the test costs, or up to $2,000 for each test. Fees connected with obtaining a license or certification are not reimbursable. Payment is issued after you submit proof of payment to VA. Find out how your GI Bill entitlement will be charged for taking a Licensing and Certification benefit.

Apply for benefits along with your request for payment for a test or tests. Complete the VA Form 22-0803(Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test) at the Ask A Question website or mail it to your nearest VA regional processing office.

Other Factors to Consider

By certification, VA is referring to the certification you get by taking a specific test for a field of employment, and not a certificate you receive for completing training.

  • Get detailed information in the VA Licensing and Certification Pamphlet.
  • Search for approved tests online. (If the test is not listed, it still may be a valid test that's not yet approved. Submit an application for reimbursement following instructions above.)
Career Phase: 
VA Disability Rating Requirement: 
No Disability Requirement
Discharges Allowed: