Alvin Community College

“On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind.  As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind." Dan Lipinski

Veterans Educational Benefits Checklist

Documentation needed for all students requesting benefits: 
*DD-214/NOBE *Verification of Eligibility* All prior Transcripts (See website information) and (Click for student checklist)

Additional documents by program for students who have never received benefits: 

   Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill

o   Certificate of Eligibility 
§  May be applied for using the DD 22-1990 beginning 1 June 2009 or online using
§  NOTE: Your Certificate of Eligibility MUST be on file in order to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

o   Copy of your DD-214 
o   All Military and College Transcripts 
o   VA Form 22-1990 - Application for VA Educational Assistance
o   Copy of your DD-214 
o   All military and College transcripts 
o   Can receive both Hazlewood tuition exemption and this federal benefit
o   VA Form 22-1990 - Application for VA Educational Assistance
o   Copy of your DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) - this form is provided by your reserve unit 
o   All Military and College Transcripts

Chapter 35 - Survivors/Dependents Education Benefit

VA Form 22-5490 - Application for VA Education Benefits
All college transcripts

*Chapter 31- Vocational Rehabitation- Educational Benefits- assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, Vet Success offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. Meet with a Voc Rehab counselor at the Houston Regional Office, or online at

            Need 1905 from Regional Office

Transfer students: if you have received VA benefits previously please complete a Change of Program form:

VA Form 22-1995 Veteran:
VA Form 22-5495 Dependents:
Student must complete a Request for Benefits form each semester before they will be certified;

Print and submit form to Toby Herzog, 281-756-3530

Application Procedure

Bring your completed documentation to the Academic Advising Office and meet with Toby Herzog, VA Certifying Official. Once submitted, your paperwork will be processed according to the regulations and guidelines set forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Pamphlet regarding the new Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) [view]


The Hazlewood Exemption provides exemption of payment for tuition and certain fees to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans.  Veterans must meet the following requirements:

 -Must show DD-214

-Must confirm entrance (home of record or place of entry) from the State of Texas

-Letter of ineligibility for the Montgomery G.I. Bill from the Department of Veterans Affairs, if discharge was post 9/11

-Receipt of an honorable or under honorable conditions discharge

-Must have served at least 180 days of active duty (excluding basic training time)

-Resident of Texas for a minimum of 12 months prior to college registration

-Not be in default for any educational student loan

-A statement of Hazlewood hours for all colleges or universities attended after September 1995 and prior to ACC enrollment, if the student transferred to ACC must also be submitted.

The new "Hazlewood Legacy Act" removes certain residency restrictions, extends eligibility to spouses, and permits eligible veterans to assign their unused hours to their children. Children of eligible veterans must meet the institution's requirement for Satisfactory Academic Progress and maintain an overall 2.0 GPA in order to continue receiving their parent's Hazlewood benefits.

Application Deadline:

New applicants - First time Hazlewood veterans and dependents must apply two weeks prior to the payment deadline of the term . If application is submitted by the deadline, but not yet approved, the student must make arrangements to pay from personal funds. The student will be reimbursed for the payment made once approved for Hazlewood Benefits.  First time applications submitted after the deadline of two weeks prior to the payment deadline, will be processed for the next available term.

Previous recipients - students who have used their Hazlewood benefits previously at ACC may apply through late registration of the term.

The Registrar's Office will process the application for benefits and contact the student directly by mail. For additional information and applications for the Hazlewood Benefits Act, please visit the College for Texans website.


[Texas Veterans Portal]

Veterans Administration 
VA Contact Information: Phone: 1-888-442-4551
Monthly verification of attendance: 1-877-823-2378
Direct Deposit Information: 1-877-838-2378

Toby Herzog
Academic Advisor
Ph: 281/756-3530 
Fax: 281/756-3843