From our friends at the Texas Suicide Prevention Council :
World Suicide Prevention Day – September 10, 2017: Take 5 to Save Lives
If your or someone you know is in need of support, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
September 10, 2017 is World Suicide Prevention Day and the Texas Suicide Prevention Council is asking everyone to Take 5 to Save Lives! This campaign provides prevention-focused tools to help keep yourself and others safe from suicide.
What does it mean to Take 5 to Save Lives?
Head to www.take5tosavelives.org to learn 5 steps you can take in just 5 minutes:
1. LEARN THE SIGNS. An expert-consensus list of warning signs was created to help people identify someone who may be in suicidal crisis or experiencing suicidal thoughts. Take a couple minutes to learn and memorize the warning signs of suicide. Suicide prevention preparedness will help save more lives.
2. DO YOUR PART. Teachers, parents, students, caregivers, and countless other stakeholders all play a vital role in preventing the tragedy of suicide. Preventing suicide is a collective responsibility. Learn how you can do more to raise awareness and prevent suicide.
3. PRACTICE SELF-CARE. Research tells us that our mental fitness or wellness is crucial to our overall long-term health, and can even protect us from disease. Learn some tips for keeping mentally fit. Make self-care a priority in your life.
4. REACH OUT. There are many resources for those experiencing suicidal thoughts or a suicidal crisis. Know where to turn to if you or someone you know needs help.
5. SPREAD THE WORD. One great way to end stigma is to talk about suicide prevention and share real life stories of living with depression or other mental illnesses. Pledge to tell at least 5 other people about Take 5 and World Suicide Prevention Day.