Any honorably discharged Veteran, their immediate family (spouse, under 18 family member, or disabled adult in the home), surviving spouse, and/or caregiver of a Veteran are eligible to receive FREE rides.
- Helping locate adequate transportation resources for a variety of needs and other possible funding opportunities based on eligibility. This includes locating adequate long-term transportation resources if this is a significant problem.
- Assess Veterans and eligible family members, for free transportation through payment of the costs for a ride with funding for the Call-A-Ride 4 Vets program. (Riders can use for up to three rides based on funding.)
- Help locating other community resources for Veteran-specific needs including access and information on VA benefits, claims submission and healthcare; TRICARE assistance, as well as Medicare & Medicaid benefits and counseling.
For Veterans/Family that are over age 60, we also screen for any needs that our Area
Agencies on Aging might be able to provide for short-term needs or problems.
Our Veteran programs cover every county that the Alamo Area Council of Government (AACOG) supports. There are some limitations based on providers in certain areas, but we will work hard to provide you the assistance you need!
Medical appointments are given priority, but you can use the ride to go to all kinds of different needs (not all inclusive):
- Doctor visits (not just the V.A.)
- Grocery Needs and Prescription Pickups
- Places of Worship
- Paying Bills
- Trips to a Senior Center or community agency.
o apply for the Alamo Call-A-Ride 4 Vets program, or for more information, please call (210) 362-5254 or toll-free 1-800-960-5201.